What do you call your mother and father?

Sander   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:24 GMT
of course thats not you,But!Why do you always capitalize my name?
zarafa   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:28 GMT
Travis,

=> zarafa, of course, "your mother" and "his father" (rather than "your mom" and "his dad") sound quite formal to me, to say the very least.

So what does "to say the very least mean"? What would be beyond formal? (It doesn't sound formal to me; it sounds normal.)
Don   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:29 GMT
Quote-''zarafa, of course, "your mother" and "his father" (rather than "your mom" and "his dad") sound quite formal to me, to say the very least.''

Travis,

That's interesting that they sound that way to you. I always say ''your mother'' and ''his father'', never ''your mom'' and ''his dad'', especially not ''your mom'', because I don't use ''Mom'', but use ''Mam'' and only when referring to my own mother. And yes, I was told that ''Mam'' (or ''Mom'') and ''Dad'' should be capitalized, no matter where they are in the sentence. ''your mother'' and ''his father'' sound normal, not formal to me.
Damian from Edinburgh   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:30 GMT
Don't you like it? I've always capitalised people's names in Forums...we all do it on another Forum I go into for Scottish people and journalism and sports forums.

If you don't like it I'll stop doing it.
Sander   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:32 GMT
Oh no,just wondered why...
zarafa   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:35 GMT
DAMIAN, I like the capitalization, as it makes it easier to see your name if it appears (not that you've addressed anything to me).
andre in south africa   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:36 GMT
hehe well I know whenever Damian shouts out my name I sit up and LISTEN!! ;)
Sander   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:37 GMT
Still think its a bit weird..what do you think ANDRE IN SOUTH AFRICA?
Travis   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:38 GMT
Don, of course, one can't expect NAE usage to be the same as English English usage, whether in speech or in writing.

zarafa, "to say the very least" is an expression that means basically that far more could be said beyond that which is actually being said at the given moment.
andre in south africa   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:39 GMT
but I agree with zarafa, it does ensure that you don't miss your name - so carry in DAMIAN :)
andre in south africa   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:40 GMT
carry on - not carry in :)

I like it SANDER
Sander   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:41 GMT
I'll just stick with my own methods...AiSA..
zarafa   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:45 GMT
Travis,

=> zarafa, "to say the very least" is an expression that means basically that far more could be said beyond that which is actually being said at the given moment.

It can also be taken to mean that the word "formal" is not a strong enough word to express your reaction. But I'm glad to know that's not what you meant.
Travis   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:49 GMT
''Don, of course, one can't expect NAE usage to be the same as English English usage, whether in speech or in writing.''

''zarafa, "to say the very least" is an expression that means basically that far more could be said beyond that which is actually being said at the given moment.''

Travis,

I'm not from England. I'm from Wales. Or are you one of those people who think that Scotland and Wales are a part of England? That's not true. I don't like it when people refer to the UK as a whole, as England.
Don   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:55 GMT
Sorry, Travis. I accidently typed your name in instead of mine.