What do you call your mother and father?

Richard   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:56 GMT
Madre: Mami
Padre: Papi

When I refer to them in English, I either call them parental units or "my mom" and "my dad".
andre in south africa   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:57 GMT
Oh OK Sander

Well, it has become Damian's trademark, so we'll leave it to him ;)
Travis   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 20:59 GMT
If you're Don just accidentally using my name in the above post, I specifically should have said "Welsh English" in my previous post in this thread, yes, but the thing is that I tend to usually explicitly refer to English English simply because there is no such thing as a unified "UK English", except possibly in formal writing. For example, formal English English tends to be closer to formal North American English than either are to, say, Scottish English, and English English and Scottish English cannot be practically grouped together as some sort of "UK English", as much as some may refer to "British English" at times.
Damian from Edinburgh   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 21:23 GMT
ZARAFA: This is especially for you then: ZARAFA - my first post to you - I hope you enjoy this Forum. Most of the time it's cool fun.
zarafa   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 21:24 GMT
Actually, DAMIAN, we've communicated before. I'm travelling incognito.
Damian from Edinburgh   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 21:29 GMT
ANDRE! ANDRE! ANDRE!!!! ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A.....N.......D.......R........EEEEEEEEE!!!

Hee hee..bet that livened you up a wee bit!, laddie! You're nae the nervous type anyway I reckon. LOL
Damian from EH12   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 21:31 GMT
Take that mask off then, ZARAFA! Let me see if it's who I think it is....
Damian from EH12   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 21:33 GMT
I'm knackered...it's fair fornyawed I am tonight...off tae bed the noo.
zarafa   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 21:47 GMT
Mask? No, that's for another "Z" animal: Zorro!
Dora   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 22:09 GMT
Sander, (late answer...)
In Spain people say madre and padre, you are right. But, in some other countries, we say mamá and papá always. "Madre" would sound awful.
We may also say, Tata, for dad.
Children say papi and mami or papito and mamita.
frances   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 22:32 GMT
I say mama and tata to this day.
*   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 22:54 GMT
In Spain Tata is for sister or for nanny
Kirk   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 23:06 GMT
<<Shouldn't ''mom'' and ''dad'' be capitalized. I thought they were supposed to be. Anyway, here in South Wales, we don't use ''Mom'', but use ''Mam'' in place of it.>>

As far as I remember we weren't taught to capitalize "mom" or "dad."

<<It's interesting that you oftem use ''mom'' and ''dad'' in place of ''mother'' and ''father''. I don't generally do that with ''mam'' and ''dad''. I use ''Mam'' and ''Dad'' only when talking about my own mother and father.>>

Oh ok, that is interesting. At least here, I rarely if ever say "mother" or "father." Even people that are of my mom and dad's generation still often refer to their parents or other people's parents as their "mom" and "dad."
Ori   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 23:20 GMT
mother - ima
father - aba
Somewhere   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 23:24 GMT
Maman, Papey