: )
Girl Mary   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:03 pm GMT
<<English isn't bastardized...
English has a lawful father: Anglo-Saxon
and a prostitute ("whore") mother--Franco-Latin LOL

: )

hahahahahaha
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:03 pm GMT
I agree with greg on this. It belongs in the English forum.
Fat Mary   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:31 pm GMT
English isn't bastardized...
English has a lawful father: Anglo-Saxon
and a prostitute ("whore") mother--Franco-Latin LOL

Everyone thinks the opposite though! AAHAHAH!
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:39 pm GMT
The mother of English is anglosaxon, and it was badly raped by the French speaking Normands. The result is the English language.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:42 pm GMT
The mother of a forgotten barbaric blabbering is anglosaxon, and it was luckily improved by the French speaking Normands. The result is a language worthing to have this name
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:45 pm GMT
I can say it better: It's like a gentle, refined, classy, sweet lady (Latin French) badly raped by a vulgar coarse gross stinky drunkard (barbaric anglosaxon), it sounds much better like this. LOL
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:54 pm GMT
How many of you have met a victim of rape? This way of describing English is asinine. English experienced change over time and became richer for the added vocabulary.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:54 pm GMT
<<The result is a language worthing to have this name >>

"worthing"
Yeah, nice grammar
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:58 pm GMT
The truth is that English was raped and bastardized by the English

Neither the Norman language (which isn't French coincidentally), not French directly influenced English. It was the English, in an attempt to "wanna-be" French that got us into trouble. This is why English stinks today. (like a nasty French woman.)

<<Everyone thinks the opposite though! AAHAHAH!>>
And at one time, everyone "thought" that the earth was flat. So what? It's time we told the truth.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
If English is not too indigestible for me, it's because it has a huge Latin-French vocabulary, if it was 90% Germanic like Icelandic, take for sure that the knowledge of English among the Romance speakers would tend to zero, and for sure English would be much less popular across the globe and on par with Swedish or Danish. Oh yeah, I woud be speaking in French or Italian righ now. What a shame that English didn't remain pure. I do agree with you.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:13 pm GMT
<<if it was 90% Germanic like Icelandic, take for sure that the knowledge of English among the Romance speakers would tend to zero, and for sure English would be much less popular across the globe and on par with Swedish or Danish.>>

English language popularity is due to our world-wide dominance. People like yourself, learn english out of necessity -to keep up with the developed world- and would do so just the same if we had no romance vocabulary.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:17 pm GMT
<<English experienced change over time and became richer for the added vocabulary. >>

This is the tell-tale excuse we've been handed down all our lives. But is it true? Let's take a closer look:

Was Old English a 'poor' language liguistically compared to Modern English? Let's take the word for "love". In modern English, we have one word: "Love" both verb & noun.
In Old English, we had 3 verbs: 'lufian', 'liefan' and 'freon/freogan'. We had 5 nouns: lufu, leofe, sibb, freod and liss

What about on the Greco-Roman side. Take Modern Eng. 'astrologer'/'astronomer'. 2 words.

Old English had 6 words for the same concept with slight differentiations of meaning: 1). tidsceawend, 2). tunglere, 3). tungolwitega, 4). tidymbwlatend, 5). steorwiglere and 6). steorsceawere

Having French or foreign words in the English doesn't make it a "richer" language. That's just an excuse to allay the inwit ("conscience") of those bastardizing our roard ("speech, language")
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:22 pm GMT
<<If English is not too indigestible for me, it's because it has a huge Latin-French vocabulary, if it was 90% Germanic like Icelandic, take for sure that the knowledge of English among the Romance speakers would tend to zero, and for sure English would be much less popular across the globe and on par with Swedish or Danish. Oh yeah, I woud be speaking in French or Italian righ now. What a shame that English didn't remain pure. I do agree with you. >>

That's a Lie.
Most of the Romance words in English are false friends with Romance languages, so you really have to 'learn' the new word anyway. No difference if that word were a germanic , slavic, japonic word--doesn't matter.

Nice try but Boo-Ya!