Imagine if Spain would join to Portugal

Guest   Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:20 pm GMT
Eso no es nada, Beatha, la operación Chamartín , un proyecto paralizado durante decenios por los sociatas, a la que se le ha dado ya via libre, va a suponer la construcción de muchos más rascacielos aparte de CTA. Creo que en Lisboa está prohibido construir edificios muy altos. En otros paises europeos también sucede, por eso no hay ciudades que tengan un skyline similar al de las urbes en Norteamérica.
Rui   Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 pm GMT
Beatha there's no use discussing with you (: sorry to say, but when you link development with the construcion of skycrapers, well... no much I can argue here.

But there's taste for everyone
ViscaCatalunya   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:53 am GMT
Funny to see some claim Portugal was economically stronger than Spain in the past. The industrialization (first trains, lights) started in Catalunya, a region with an economy much larger than the whole of Portugal....
German   Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 pm GMT
Stupid childish people, I'm not interested in Economy at all, this is a forum about languages. Portugal is a nice country and if it's not so rich.. who cares? Spain is not so wealthy either, particularly in this period. it's got more than 4 million unemployed people!!!
Guest   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:05 pm GMT
Those 4 millions of unemployed people are mostly inmigrants . If Spain is not wealthy they should go back to their country, but I'm afraid that still despite the crisis Spain is much better than their countries. I wonder how we can get rid of them.
Rui   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:20 pm GMT
^^ You can't get ride of those people, period. Or you can and the spanish economy can shrink 20% at least.

Cataluña always has been a particular case. Yes, is more developed than Portugal, yes it has a higher income per capita. But wasn't always like that.
German   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:29 pm GMT
Those 4 millions of unemployed people are mostly inmigrants

This is not true. Lots of Spaniards are unumployed as well....
Guest   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:34 pm GMT
Spaniards usually have better education and thus have better jobs in sectors that are not as severely affected by the crisis. Many migrants came to Spain during the construction bubble, and now that it has bursted they have no job. Surely there were Spaniards working in this sector, but they are much less.

<<Cataluña always has been a particular case. Yes, is more developed than Portugal, yes it has a higher income per capita. But wasn't always like that. >>

Maybe Portugal was more developed 20000 years ago, who knows...
ViscaCatalunya   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:36 pm GMT
The economies throughout history:

Roman times: Spain>Portugal. Italica, Tarragona, Merida etc.
Early Medieval Age: Spain> Portugal. Cordoba, Granada, Toledo etc.
Late Middle-Ages: Spain>Portugal. Barcelona, Valencia etc.
Age of discoveries: Let's say equal.
Modern Age. Spain>Portugal
Receswinta   Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:46 pm GMT

It is interesting to note that during the Roman Empire there were not important cities in the Portuguese part of the Iberian Peninsula. Even the capital of Lusitania, Merida, was in inner land.

Also during the Visigothic period important cities were in Spain and not in Portugal, despite the Visigoths ruled Portugal too: Barcelona, Toledo, Merida, Sevilla, etc.

If Portugal had better natural resources, I wonder why the Romans and the Visigoths were more interested in founding cities in Spain.
Rui   Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:21 pm GMT
Well, when you say equal what do you mean? The whole country or per capita? Because if it's per capita forget it, at the Age of Discoveries Portugal was way richer than Spain.

You have to realize that at that time Lisbon was the most prosperous city in Europe, along with some Italian cities. And was the biggest, second only to Napoles.
Seville was an important citie as well, but not comparing to Lisbon. And Madrid or Barcelona (specially the first one) were mere vilages comparing to Lisbon. The development of these two cities started two centuries ago.
It's easy to understand that if you look at the monuments of the 3 cities.

Now? Well quite the opposite, Madrid and Barcelona are boming, and Lisbon is trying to keep the pace. So what?
pipe   Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:29 pm GMT
I reckon Lisbon is much nicer than Madrid! Its charm is unique. I'm not Portuguese...
ViscaCatalunya   Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:43 pm GMT
Rui, time for some history lessons. Barcelona was an important Mediterranean port in the 13th century already when Lisbon was a mere fishing village. Porugal never was part of the Mediterranean culture that was blooming much earlier. Barcelona's fleet was on level with that of Genova and Venice.

Afterwards Spain's empire was obviously much bigger than Portugal during the age of discoveries. The most well known Portuguese even sailed for the Spanish fleet.
ggh   Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:59 pm GMT
Age of Discovery: Portugal > Spain

End of 17th century and 18th century
(when Portugal discovered gold in brazil): Portugal > Spain.

During that period Portugal got more gold in a few decades than Spain did in America in 400 years. Look it up. The 1755 earthquake fucked Portugal up big time though.
Carl   Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 pm GMT

It is interesting to note that during the Roman Empire there were not important cities in the Portuguese part of the Iberian Peninsula. Even the capital of Lusitania, Merida, was in inner land.

Also during the Visigothic period important cities were in Spain and not in Portugal, despite the Visigoths ruled Portugal too: Barcelona, Toledo, Merida, Sevilla, etc.

If Portugal had better natural resources, I wonder why the Romans and the Visigoths were more interested in founding cities in Spain.
=-===================================

Because of geographic reasons. Your are better off making ports on the Mediterranean which would make it closer to Rome and other big ports of the time than on the Atlantic. Also building your cities inland would be better since it would prevent them from being raided by 'pirates'.

Also of course Spain will have more important cities than Portugal, it's 4-5 times its size. One thing is for sure though, what Portugal with its small population and size is amazing. I can't even imagine what they would have done if they were a country on par (size-population wise) with Spain, France, UK etc.