Languages in the EU

Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:07 pm GMT
lol, biological weapons seem like a bright future! There aren't enough diseases around already.
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:10 pm GMT
Chinese doesn't have to attack and conquer, all they have to do is abolish one child policy and in less than 50 years whole world will be populated with Chinese and Chinese only.
Pakito   Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:01 pm GMT
脷赛海蜇拌
Guest   Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:26 pm GMT
<<Chinese doesn't have to attack and conquer, all they have to do is abolish one child policy and in less than 50 years whole world will be populated with Chinese and Chinese only.>>

By your logic in less than 50 years whole world would be Hindu since Chinese will not abolish one child policy.
No God   Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:19 am GMT
<< I wonder if conversion to Islam will end up saving the West? It would certainly put an end to this politically-correct, left-leaning moral vacuum that exists now. Perhaps it could restore the West's self-confidence so that it could defend itself against China a couple of decades from now? >>

If any person or society in this day in age needs religion to have self-confidence, then they are weak. Religion is obviously just philosophy that is meant to control people and explain death. Some good does come out of it, but that doesn't make it real.

Yes, there is a problem in the West with PC and ultra-left people, but the complete opposite (Islam, Sharia law, etc.) isn't good either. Moderation and balance is what is needed.

I respect Christian countries more because they believe in seperation of religion and state, and also allow the individual to decide what religion they to follow. This is what is best for humanity. The situation in muslim countries can be completely different though, as they actually outlaw conversions, and at many times, any critizism of the islam at all. That isn't freedom, that's extreme control and oppression IMO.
K. T.   Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:28 am GMT
You can't prove to me that there is no God.
JLK   Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:51 am GMT
Biological weapons targeting particular races is a combination of science fiction and Chinese propaganda. Anyone who knows something about DNA and haplogroups would know it is impossible. Secondly, even if such a weapon was produced, it would be practically useless against the barrage of nuclear weapons pointed towards China.
No God   Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:57 am GMT
<< You can't prove to me that there is no God. >>

I will concede to you only if you'll admit that you can't prove to me that there is a God, and that you don't have all the answers. If so, then I completely respect your beliefs.

What I don't respect are the high and mighty, pious religious people that think they know everything there is to know and try to force their beliefs on others. It's the people that don't ask questions and just believe what they are told that worry me. Religion can be counter productive and very dangerous as we see in today's world.
K. T.   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 am GMT
That's a tall order. What answers do you mean? To the question about life after death? I actually can't speak to that exactly. Some people think that people go to Heaven or Hell directly, others think that their souls sleep until the day of judgment. I've never studied theology, although I've read the Bible several times in different versions and languages. I've never read it in Greek and Hebrew, but I'd like to.

I am only talking about Christian thinking in a vague way.

I'm not sure what forcing their beliefs on others means to you. Voting against pro-choice candidates or something as simple as telling someone what you personally believe? Are both of those "forcing"?

"Pious" is a positive word to me, but "religious" is not, but you combine them.

If you are a confirmed atheist, well, some atheists seem more "moral" than others of different faiths, but surely you don't believe that all atheists are moderate in all things. I don't believe that for people of any faith. We're all humans, not superbeings.
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:22 am GMT
If there is a 'god' it is not a god in the sense we normally mean. It is an extremely intelligent race who made us in a science experiment (ie created our universe). But that doesn't explain where 'they' came from.

<<If you are a confirmed atheist, well, some atheists seem more "moral" than others of different faiths, but surely you don't believe that all atheists are moderate in all things.>>

That's true, but Christians are far from moderate too. Also, when an atheist acts morally it is because he is inclined to do so, not because he might not go to heaven if he doesn't (which is true for not all but for a lot religious people).

<<I'm not sure what forcing their beliefs on others means to you. Voting against pro-choice candidates or something as simple as telling someone what you personally believe? Are both of those "forcing"? >>

I was forced to go to religion class at school, you could opt out but it was a difficult process and not worth the trouble. Illegal to work on Easter Sunday. Missionaries.
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:29 am GMT
<<You can't prove to me that there is no God. >>

Talk about thread drift! It looks like this one has now drifted to the ultimate topic.

Maybe this thread'll become a classic after all :)
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:36 am GMT
<<Biological weapons targeting particular races is a combination of science fiction and Chinese propaganda. Anyone who knows something about DNA and haplogroups would know it is impossible. Secondly, even if such a weapon was produced, it would be practically useless against the barrage of nuclear weapons pointed towards China. >>

Maybe it's not possible today, but who knows what marvels (or horrors) the next few decades will bring?

If you did manage to develop such a weapon, I assume you'd unleash it secretly, so nobody would know how it started or who planted it. Ideally, you'd also have already deployed an impenetrable mssile shield beforehand.

All this assumes that China can make a Great Leap Forward in technology and leave the West behind in the dust in the next few decades.
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:40 am GMT
I work at an adults shop which is near a church and we often get Christians complaining. What gives them the right to complain? There are no pictures strung up on the walls. All there is is a sign which says "Adults XXX shop'. If that offends you, toobad. I see a sign next to the church which says "Come discover God" or something like that, which offends me, but I don't complain about it. What is it to them if I like cock? They might complain that it's a bad influence on children. Well, the church is a bad influence too. They might say it's exploitation. Well, the church is also exploitation.

Goodbye, my customers are waiting. Hey, look! A priest!
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:42 am GMT
<<Chinese doesn't have to attack and conquer, all they have to do is abolish one child policy and in less than 50 years whole world will be populated with Chinese and Chinese only. >>

Once China has the capability to expand its empire without endangering itself, perhaps they'll revert to the "five sons" policy. Miodern technology allows for reduced daughter production :), so you could then produce hundreds of millions of "bare branches" and build an invincible ground army.
Guest   Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:49 am GMT
Once robotic pleasure machines become possible we won't need women at all! We can just grow uteri in tanks for making babies. Yippie!