Wallonia must be part of FRANCE

Fredrik from Norway   Sunday, January 16, 2005, 21:07 GMT
As a Scandinavian I have to protest and say:
A culture does not have to be international or "grand" to be great! Small cultures can also accomplish astonishing things!
Fredrik from Norway   Sunday, January 16, 2005, 21:11 GMT
To pierre caroit:
So your Belgianness/Wallooness is not more important than the Alsatianess of an Alsatian or the Provencianess of an Provencian?
Pierre Caroit   Sunday, January 16, 2005, 21:12 GMT
Of course but Tiste can't say we are loosers since the french culture has always been influent in the whole world
Fredrik from Norway   Sunday, January 16, 2005, 21:35 GMT
Not to offend anyone, but I think it's more honourable to pride oneself of being part of a small culture that has achieved something rather than priding oneself of being part of a neglected corner of une grande culture.

But hey, maybe it just the Scandinavian in me!
Camundongo   Sunday, January 16, 2005, 22:04 GMT

French-speaking Belgians refuse to learn Dutch because ''French is a universal language'' just like French-speaking Canadians refuse to learn English because ''French is a universal language''.

The Belgian queen may be a French-speaking puppet, but the prime minister will always be a Dutch-speaking person.

De Grote Markt van Brussel:

http://www.rondement.be
Fredrik from Norway   Sunday, January 16, 2005, 22:10 GMT
Maybe the Flemish and Walloon will not achieve equality before the Dutch think of a more grand name for de Grote Markt? Grande Place has just a little bit more...grandeur...in it, even though the style of the buildings around the square are very distinctly Flemish, I think.
Tiffany   Sunday, January 16, 2005, 22:51 GMT
Pierre Caroit - there is no such word as "loosers". It is "loser" - someone who loses something. A "looser" would would technically be "someone who loosens something". Look up the verbs "to lose" and "to loosen"
Easterner   Monday, January 17, 2005, 08:30 GMT
Concerning the problem of Flanders and Vallonia, I think it is always the most difficult to find the balance of interests between in a bipolar country (with Brussels as a weak centre), consisting of two distinct ethnic and language communities, and Belgium is a good example of this (the emphasis is on TWO), something of the case of "two captains on one ship". Belgium is unique because it is a blend (so to speak) of two distinct regions, both of which tend to have rather strong ties with a larger community across the border (this is perhaps more true of Vallonia). Part of the problem is that the economically less developed area (Vallonia) is part of Francophonie, and by this they feel culturally superior. I really don't know if it would be good for the two communities to remain part of one country, or to separate completely. On the other other hand, I definitely don't think it would be a good idea for Vallonia to join France or for Flanders to unite with The Netherlands, because they have an identity of their own, and they would have problems integrating into another country - and I don't think many people want this. One thing to ponder over is if it is not obsolete to maintain Belgium as a country in its present form...
Pierre Caroit   Monday, January 17, 2005, 13:57 GMT
Ok I apologize for having made this big mistake: the correct word is LOSERS.
Thanks Tiffany.
Pierre Caroit   Monday, January 17, 2005, 14:27 GMT
Easterner,
First of all, It is Wallonia, not Vallonia...

Please, I think you have good intentions for us... but you are not realistic concerning this problem, maybe because you don't really know about the situation (and I don't blame you for that...).
I can assure you that if you lived in belgium you couldn't say the same.
I know that people who don't live in belgium don't realize how dramatic the situation is. I repeat once again that Flanders is becoming a fascist region!!! The flemish mainly vote for a neo nazi parti (vlaams belang) which was declared racist by an OFFICIAL commission!!! But the flemish mainly continue to vote for such a party.

Could you explain me the problem about our identity??
In France each region, each city has its own identity. Brittany is different from alsace; and alsace is different from Provence, Provence is different from Gascogne and so on... All these regions are french with their own identity.

When you say that we are a poor region, that's only half true. We 're not under-developped!!! Wallonia is just less rich than Flander today because of the industrial crisis. But you don't have mentioned that 30 or 40 years ago, it was the Waloons who paid for the poor Flanders...

Ps : I don't feel cuturally superior to them. I've just said I don't like their language (that hurts my ears) nor their mentality... that's all!!
Tiste   Monday, January 17, 2005, 15:29 GMT
Pierre Cariot

You have a strong personality , I have to admit that ... Or are you just stubborn ? What we're saying is : The Flemish learn French , but why doesn't a Walloon learn Dutch ? They should learn it! (Not because we force them, but because most people in Belgium are Flemish. ) Each time a Walloon comes to Brugge , Oostende , Antwerp they expect you to speak French ( we're taking the effort to learn French for you ! Why don't you do the same ? )
Tiste   Monday, January 17, 2005, 15:35 GMT
I'm not offending the French, I respect them ! I'm offending the Walloon people because they are so stubborn in learning Flemish !!!
Tiste   Monday, January 17, 2005, 15:38 GMT
By the way

A francophone of Brussels once said : Vlaanderen groot, Walloniƫ dood
(translation : Flanders great , Wallonia dead)
Tiste   Monday, January 17, 2005, 16:04 GMT
Another thing .... There is no such thing as a French culture ! It consist of many other small cultures!
kenny   Monday, January 17, 2005, 17:14 GMT
@ Pierre Caroit

Thank you for your opinion about my name ! Do you like it when people are talking about your name? No you DON'T !!!! I don't talk about your name "Pierre". And NO we aren't the same Tiste is somebody I know no more no less !

Pierre , do you vote for de MR - CDH - .... ???? In my opinion you're just a man (?!) who can't stand other peoples opinion ! May I know your age ?

@ Easterner

Many things you said are true in my opinion ! In many lines you've got it right !

@ Everyone

Maybe Flanders is becoming a extreme-right part of Belgium but that's because lots of foreigners are coming to Flanders because it has a great situation in Europe ! You've got everything in Flanders, nice people - lot's of streets - airports - the way to BRITTAIN - etc. ! When you come in Wallonia and you don't know where you are , you have lots of problims wich you haven't got in Flanders, sure not all Flemisch People know several languages but you'lle always find somebody that speaks French - German - Englisch - Spanish (and some others as well :-) )