Lexical similarities between French-Spanish-Italian

Sonia Contreras   Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:48 pm GMT
Hola amigos. Voy a compartir mi punta de vista. Estoy de acuredo con Fernando. Como hablante de Castellano, estoy en la buena posicion de opinar sobre ese asunto con claridad. Para mi, el Portuguese escrito es totalmente inteligible. Entiendo bastante del Portugues hablado tambien aunque tiene su acento distincto. Lo que pasa es que un gran porcentaje de las palabras en Castellano y Portugues son iguales, o casi iguales. Y la gramatica y forma/estructura de hablar tambien. Sin duda, la maioria de los Espanoles y Latino Americanos piensan lo mismo.

Los Italianos hablan claramente - eso no se puede negar. Es un idioma muy bonito, pero en mi opinion, no es tan semejante al Castellano como el Portugues. Si, hay muchas palabras similares, y a veces iguales entre Castellano y Italiano, pero esos idiomas no son tan parecidos en todo para facilitar una discusion enteramente fluida. Te das cuenta mas o menos de lo que un Italiano te comunica, pero muchas veces te pierdes durante la conversacion porque el contexto de lo que esta siendo hablado desaparece. Adios, y hasta la proxima.
Guest   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:02 pm GMT
(imperative) a command

Spanish:
Hablas inglés? / Hablad inglés? informal
Habla inglés? Hablan inglés? formal

Italian:
Parli inglese? / Parlate inglese? informal
Parla inglese? / Parlano inglese? formal

Hablaste / Parlasti are the preterite.

Henceforth, you're the imbecile with the narrow-minded view. Italian will always be better then Portuguese and people will always learn Italian rather then nasal 'unintelligible' Portuguese.
Guest   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:06 pm GMT
Sonia Contreras & Fernando Alves Machado are the same twit. I have never seen these people before on Antimoon. I suspect it's JGreco....
Guest   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:12 pm GMT
Go fuck yourself goofball. Your a wannabe Italian or spanish speaker shit.

You are a cancer in this forum. Just disappear would you?
Prof. Scott Ridley   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:13 pm GMT
I happened to stumble upon this forum quite by chance. I am currently preparing a research project for my Portuguese and Spanish culture and language class at the university. I have read with fascination the many different opinions in this forum. I think the confusion for Italian speakers concerning the perceived closeness of the Italian language to the Spanish language stems from mainly one thing: the closeness of accent between the two. This of course leads to all kinds of confusion about all of the other aspects that must also be taken into account, namely vocabulary, grammar, structure, orthography, etc.

I am in the fortunate position of being fluent in Italian, Portuguese and Spanish, but I am writing this commentary in English for the benefit of all (I am assuming that most of you can read English). Ironically, this is the topic that my class is currently conductiong research on. I have taught various departments of Portuguese/Spanish. Sometimes Italian is placed in that category at universities, but more often than it is the former two languages that are included together. In my experience, and as a fluent speaker of these three languages, there is no doubt at all that Portuguese and Spanish, of all the romance languages, have the closest relationship both from a structural, cutural and historical point of view. Some scholars even regard them to be dialects of an earlier spoken form on the Iberian peninsula. I myself subscribe to this general view.

Anyway, I am not going to leacture anyone here about anything - this is not the point of my visit, albeit accidental. Suffice it to say that the relationship between Spanish and Portuguese has always been a very close one, and continues to be so even today. Educated speakers of these two languages can easily converse in their own respective languages - no seasoned scholar worth his/her salt would ever dispute this. Notwithstanding, Italian continues to be a popular, and very easy Romance language to learn. It is still close enough to the other latin based languages to be readily understood. Again, let me emphasize that intelligibilty often does rest on who is doing the talking and who is doing the listening. In my experience, and I have travelled extensively through Portugal, Spain, France and Italy, and Latin America, it is generally the Spanish and Portuguese speakers who communicate with the least amount of effort. The main problem for the Italian speakers has to do with the fact that most of them are not completely fluent in standard Italian, and usually speak very distinct dialects such as: Neopolitan, Sicilian, Venetian, Calabrese, Abruzzese, fused with standard Italian. This complicates intelligibility not only for other Romance speakers, but for other Italian speakers too.

Cheers, and it was a pleasure reading these very interesting commentaries.

Prof. Scott Ridley
JGreco   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:14 pm GMT
It's not me idiot!!! You're such an ass. You really do have a problem. Get help!
Guest   Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:30 pm GMT
Prof. Scott Ridley,

Thanks for your input. However, Italian and Spanish share closer ties with eachother due to the Spanish dominion (around the 15-17th centuries) on the two sicilies and venice. And isn't it awkward, that once the Spanish empire collaspe in the two sicilies and venice, Spanish was still spoken 'side by side' with their respective dialects. That is why, if you say, dialects make it harder for Spanish speakers, I must disagree with you. Because the dialects have incorporated many words and idioms from Spanish and Catalan.

Take this as an example:

Sardinian: Bona die / Adiosu / Tres / Duos / Kabaddu / Martis etc.
Spanish: Buenos dias / Adios/ Tres / Dos / Caballo / Martes etc.
Italian: Buon giorno / Ciao / Tre / Due / Cavallo / Martedi etc.

Of course, they're other words that are strange and awkward to spanish-speakers, but, that doesn't stop us from learning it, or does it? It only encourages us, because of the vast similarity in phonology and words. I suppose, people, do fall in love with Languages that have similar pronunciation to their own.

I hope you take this into consideration.
Guest   Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:25 pm GMT
Portuguese: Bom dia / Adeus / Três / Dois / Cavalo / Terça feira etc
Rolando   Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
Can anyone be so kind enough to translate somethings in Spanish to French for me...?

1. Buenos dias / Buenas tardes, Yo te llamo a ti hoy en este dia para que me digas que es lo que ves por ella / el / ellas / ellos / mi

2. Que es lo que ves?

3. Habla con migo / dime

4. Enseñame lo que ves / dime lo que ves

5. La carta de la

6. La carta del

7. La carta de los

8. La carta de las

*When I say carta, I mean a card, like a deck of card, Not a letter.
Irrintzi   Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:58 pm GMT
Portuguese: Bom dia / Adeus / Três / Dois / Cavalo / Terça feira etc I
French: Bon jour / Adieu, Salut / Trois / Deux / Cheval / Mardi

The days, i saw 5 different groups:

Latin: Lunae dies (day of the moon) / Martis dies (day of March) / Mercurii dies (day of mercury) / Jovis dies (day of Jupiter) / Veneris dies (day of Venus) / Saturni dies (day of Saturn) / Solis dies (Day of the sun)

1 Gallo-Italian
French: Lundi / Mardi / Mercredi / Jeudi / Vendredi / Samedi / Dimanche
Italian: Lunedi Martedi / Miercoledi / Giovedi Venerdi Sabato / Domenica

2 Iberian
Spanish: Lunes / Martes / Miercoles / Jueves / Viernes / Sabado / Domingo
Galician: Luns / Martes / Mércoles / Xoves / Venres / Sabado / Domingo
Portuguese: Segunda-feira (after Domingo) / Terca-feira / Quarta-feira / Quinta-feira / Sexta-feira / Sábado / Domingo

3 Mediterranean
Gascon: Diluns / Dimars / Dimècres / Dijòus / Divendres / Dissabte / dimenge
Catalan: Dilluns / Dimarts / Dimecres / Dijous / Divendres / Dissabte / diumenge
Provençal: Dilus / Dimars / Dimercres / Dijous / Divendres / Dissapte / Dimenge

4 Isolated romanic language
Romanian: Luni / Marti / Miercuri / Joi / Vineri / Sîmbata / Duminica
Corsican: Luni / Marti / Mercuri / Ghjóvi / Venneri / Sabatu / Dumenica

5 Other
Esperanto: Lundo / Mardo / Merkredo / Jaùdo / Vendredo / Sabato / Dimanco
Rolando   Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:31 pm GMT
Can anyone be so kind enough to translate somethings in Spanish to French for me...?

1. Buenos dias / Buenas tardes, Yo te llamo a ti hoy en este dia para que me digas que es lo que ves por ella / el / ellas / ellos / mi

2. Que es lo que ves?

3. Habla con migo / dime

4. Enseñame lo que ves / dime lo que ves

5. La carta de la

6. La carta del

7. La carta de los

8. La carta de las

*When I say carta, I mean a card, like a deck of card, Not a letter.
Fernando Alves Machado   Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:12 pm GMT
Guest, I don't know who you are, or who you think you are, but I can tell you this. How dare you insinuate that I am someone else. I found this forum unintentionally. I only shared my views, which apparently most in this forum do. Anyway, I thought that the comments were interesting, only to find the atmosphere of late tense and hostile, and some contributors rude and ignorant. I'm only too happy to leave here. Ate nunca!
Prof. Scott Ridley   Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:27 pm GMT
As a professional I cannot in good faith participate in these ongoing discussions. Although I found some of the commentaries compelling, and at times even amusing, 'mudslinging' is not my way. At any rate, my opinion still stands; the Portuguese and Spanish languages are the most closely connected of all the Romance languages. It is the view that has been substantiated through abundant and thorough research. It is also the view that is prevalent in academia. I only encourage that you to, above all else, exercise reason in your debates. Getting angry, being condescending, and using expletives is not the academic way.

Cheers,
Prof. Scott Ridley
From Faroe Islands: I hat   Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:45 pm GMT
I studied, in my life, as foreing languages,english, spanish, french and catalan...I speak a good spanish and I can understand almost everything in french and catalan but, anyway, I do not like romance languages because they don't sound good...in particoular italian! bleah!! what a stupid language....it's too easy! everyone can easly understend it, whatever is his/her own native language...
I doesn't mind if it is rich of history and culture (Dante, Petrarca, Ariosto, Manzoni, Leopardi, Florence, Venice, Rome, Federico II, Accademia della crusca and so on....)....every language has great artist and great poets in its histrory.....italian is, anyway, a very very stupid language, just because it's really too easy to learn and to understand it! I believe that a language which everyone (from Spain, England, Norway, Filland, Russia, China, Korea or everywhere in the world) can easly understand has not an identity, it's a stupid language!
I am from Faroe Islands and I am proud of beeing a Faroese and Danish speaker! Our language is very difficoult, and nobody can understand us (of course a danish or a swedish or, at least, a norvegian could understand something but anyway a not scandinavian speaker can not understend us: italian, instead, can be understood by everyone...there is only an advantage: an italian no needs an interpreter!)
From Faroe Islands: I hat   Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:50 pm GMT
I studied, in my life, as foreing languages,english, spanish, french and catalan...I speak a good spanish and I can understand almost everything in french and catalan but, anyway, I do not like romance languages because they don't sound good...in particoular italian! bleah!! what a stupid language....it's too easy! everyone can easly understend it, whatever is his/her own native language...
I doesn't mind if it is rich of history and culture (Dante, Petrarca, Ariosto, Manzoni, Leopardi, Florence, Venice, Rome, Federico II, Accademia della crusca and so on....)....every language has great artist and great poets in its histrory.....italian is, anyway, a very very stupid language, just because it's really too easy to learn and to understand it! I believe that a language which everyone (from Spain, England, Norway, Filland, Russia, China, Korea or everywhere in the world) can easly understand has not an identity, it's a stupid language!
I am from Faroe Islands and I am proud of beeing a Faroese and Danish speaker! Our language is very difficoult, and nobody can understand us (of course a danish or a swedish or, at least, a norvegian could understand something but anyway a not scandinavian speaker can not understend us: italian, instead, can be understood by everyone...there is only an advantage: an italian no needs an interpreter!)