Lexical similarities between French-Spanish-Italian

Guest   Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:20 pm GMT
Observant, as guest rightly said, your knowldege of French seems very limited indeed.
Observant   Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:16 am GMT
8 is oct? I never heard of that. It must be coming from a patois or maybe colloquial. I never encountered them in standard French dictionary.
Observant   Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:41 am GMT
<<Your knowledge of French seems VERY limited... to what you want to think is french. Most of those words exist in french and are used and understood as much as the first ones, which are synomyms or having a close meaning. >>

Hey you you don't have the rigth to conclude that my knowledge of French is limited. Are you native speaker of French?

Ultime? It doesn't exist in the French dicitonary. All the Frenc words that you connect with the paired Spanish and Italian words are purely inventions of yours. You're just trying to make it appear that French is closer to the two languages instead of thew other way around. When are you gonna wake up to reality.

Speakers of the two languages can make themselves understood to each other which the French speakers cannot do to speakers of both languages. Just accept that the two are lexically and phonologicaly closer to each other than to French.
Guest   Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:07 pm GMT
Yes, I'm a french native speaker, I think I have the right to conclude that your knwoledge of French is limited since you don't know basic words that are widely used.

And Yes, "ultime" is a french word very widespread used alongside "dernier" (ps: not "dernièr")

"Ultime? It doesn't exist in the French dicitonary. "

how many words are in your dictionary ? you should buy a new one.

Once again the only reason why non-romance-speakers tend to think that Italian and Spanish are closer is the fact they have a lot of "a/o" ending words, which French doesn't have. That's all.

PS: oct... means that you can add a lot of suffixes to it to form words.
Guest   Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:34 pm GMT
And to pick up from where guest left off, <<Once again the only reason why non-romance-speakers tend to think that Italian and Spanish are closer is the fact they have a lot of "a/o" ending words, which French doesn't have.>> True to a point. But the a/o endings between Italian and Spanish words make them deceptively similar to one another. But that doesn't take into account another important truth....Italian endings often also end in 'i' or 'e' e.g. "i filgi = Italian", whereas In Spanish it is "los hijos", which is very different. There are countless other examples like this.
Clovis   Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:25 pm GMT
Observant,

I'm french . I have to say you that 'ultime' is a french word which really exists ! "L'ultime chanson d'Edith Piaf" means "The last song of Edith Piaf", but this word is stronger in french than in italian or in spanish ('ultimo') because the true sence of my sentence is "the last song of HER LIFE"...the last...very last song. But if you want to say "the last song of the concert" it'll be "la dernière chanson du concert"!

carne vs viande : carnivore is a type of animals which eat only meat (lion for exemple), 'un carnassier' is a bird which eats meat too, and in french 'la carne' is a very bad meat...

cena vs souper : la cène is a very old word in french but currently we don't use that...la Cène (in french too) is the last meal of the Christ.

vergüenza/vergogna : in french 'la vergogne' exists in some expressions like "être sans vergogne" which means "to be without shame" (litteraly).

cuadro/quadro vs tableau : cadre is also use in french

embouteillé, estoufade exists too...but not really used currently

Despuès/dopo vs après : 'depuis' have the same origin with these 2 words...but the sence is different (Desde=depuis).

Ocho/otto vs huit : same origin between the 3 words (latin 'octem') but the french word is very evolved...however in french we've 'octogénaire' (80 years old), octogonal...etc.

ejercito/essercito vs armée : I agree there is any equivalent in french...often the vocabulary of the war in french came from germanics languages.

cuadrado/cuadrato vs équerre : not really the same words it's true..but the same origin that's sure !^^

I hope you'll undertsand what I tried to explain...because I know that my english isn't excellent !^^
Guest   Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:41 pm GMT
"embouteillé, exists too...but not really used currently"

Sur le boulevard périphérique, "embouteillé" est très utilisé !
Clovis   Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:58 pm GMT
Oui "embouteillage" "embouteillé"...c'est vrai que c'est pas mal utilisé, mais j'ai du mal à cerner le sens que voudrait y mettre Observant...si c'est bourré pour 'soulé' ou bourré pour 'bloqué'...si c'est dans le 2ème sens ton exemple avec le périphérique colle parfaitement^^
C'est drôle parceque quand même dans le sud on utilise très peu le mot 'embouteillé'...plus répandu dans le nord surement.
R. Mancini   Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:01 pm GMT
Hi I'm of Italian descent, but I am fluent in Italian and French. I mastered Italian at home with the help of my parent's who were both teachers in Italy, and French I learned at school. Here is my opinion. Personally, I found French very easy to learn because of the great similarities of it to Italian in terms of vocabulary, grammar and sentence structure. Even though, generally speaking, the accents are different (although this is debatable depending on which part of Italy of France you are talking about), things are said similarly in both languages, i.e., the order of the words when you write and speak. I believe it is a similar kind of situation with Spanish and Portuguese. No one is saying there is isn't any intelligibilty overlap between all of the Romance languages - we know it is true to different degrees. But Italian and French do share a lot. I am now learning Spanish and I'm finding the learning curve to be longer than French was somehow.
Observant   Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:11 am GMT
Depuis is since in English
Renette is a kind of frog while rana is the generic term of frog regardless of species.

Oh my gosh, what kind of logic do you have guys?
Leanne   Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:34 pm GMT
hi im leanne and i go 2 a school in england and everything is blocked i just want 1 site to unblock bebo arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!
duck   Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:29 pm GMT
I think French is closer to English which are both mixed German-latin langauges. While Spanish and Italian are part of the "pure" latin languages.
Guest   Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:37 pm GMT
<< I think French is closer to English which are both mixed German-latin langauges. While Spanish and Italian are part of the "pure" latin languages. >>

Vite dit, but it's correct.
Clovis   Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:14 pm GMT
Yes...vite dit ! Very Very ! Because 80% of the french vocabulary comes from latin...
Eric   Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:33 pm GMT
<< I think French is closer to English which are both mixed German-latin langauges. While Spanish and Italian are part of the "pure" latin languages. >>

There is nothing Germanic about French grammar and vocabulary. French is absolutely nothing like English. The only thing they have in common is a lot of vocabulary that is not pronounced the same way at all.