Lexical similarities between French-Spanish-Italian

Eric   Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:18 am GMT
-> Hi Pedro! Thanks for adding the Portuguese version! It's true that in this example, only Spanish and Portuguese are so significantly close. Interesting! I wouldn't have thought it would be that much.

-> Observer, your example is interesting as well, let's add the French version to it:

Utilización:
Haz / Hacer una nuez de producto en la palma de la mano humedecida y aplicarla en el rostro dando un masaje delicadamente. Aclarar abundantemente con agua. Puede ser utilizado en la mañana y la noche. Sin jabón. - Uso externo -SPANISH

Utilizzazione:
Far una noce di prodotto nel palmo della mano inumidito e applicarla sul visto massaggiando delicatamente. Risolvere abbondantemente con acqua. Può essere utilizzato nel mattino e sera. Senza sapone.
-Uso esterno -ITALIAN

Utilisation:
Faire une noix du produit dans la paume de votre main humidifiée et l'appliquer sur votre visage en le massant délicatement. Rincer abondamment à l'eau. Peut être utilisé le matin et le soir. Sans savon. -Usage externe. -FRENCH.

Utilizacção:
Fazer espuma com uma noz de produto na palma da mão umedecada e aplicarla no rostro massajando dedicadamente. Aclarar abundantemente com agua. Pode ser utilizado da manhã e ã noite. Sem sabão.
-Uso externo -PORTUGUESE
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:22 am GMT
"Hi, I,m familiar wuth the Spanish language since I was a child. My point is when the first time I heard somebody on TV speaking in Italian, I exclaimed "Spanish" and someone corrected me no that's Italian. "

If you're not able to make the difference between Spanish and Italian it means you're not familiar with the Spanish language...
everyone who knows Spanish canno't confuse it with Italian !
Observant   Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:36 am GMT
Well, that's the point. Anybody who is not familiar with either Spanish or Italian could mistaken it for each other when they're spoken which is not the case for Portuguese.
Pedro   Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:36 pm GMT
You're welcome Eric. You're not alone...many people are not aware of just how close Portuguese and Spanish really are. The abundant academic evidence it out there which supports this. And any educated Portuguese or Spanish speaker will confirm this without hesitation.

Observant said: <<A Spanish speaker would ask an Italian speaker to make a hand gesture to make a latter's word unfamiliar to him to be understood such as "mangiare".
With the Portuguese speaker, Spansih speaker would ask the former to write down what he's talking about so that he may understand it since Portuguese sounds so apart from Spanish.>>

This is completely FALLACIOUS reasoning! So what you're claiming is that an Italian can make a hand gesture to make the Spanish speaker understand "mangiare", which means eat in Italian. But the Portuguese, using the exact same word in Portuguese and Spanish "comer", which means 'eat', will not make himself understood to the Spanish speaker, to the extent that he will have to write this word down??? Is anyone with all their scrupples in their head supposed to believe this?? Come one, you know this is complete horseshit!

Portuguese: "comer = eat"
Spanish: "comer = eat"
Italian: "mangiare = eat"

You see, the Portuguese person would simply have to say the word "comer" and Bingo, the Spanish speaker would understand him automatically. Same word. It's that simple. So the Italian speakers should continue to use their 'hand gestures' - evidently, they can't only count on their words to make themselves well understood.

A word of advice: don't make a preposterous claim like the one above mentioned to any Spanish or Portuguese speakers, because you will be laughed at all the way into oblivion. Don't do yourself that indignity. You sound juvenille and stupid to make such ridiculous claims. Shame on you for accusing some in this forum of Italian bashing, when it is you who is Portuguese bashing.
JeanPaul   Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:40 pm GMT
I agree with Pedro - - why would a Portuguese need to write 'comer' down on paper, when it's the exact same word in Spanish?

At least between Italian and French 'to eat' is:

FRENCH ITALIAN

'manger' 'mangiare'
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:53 pm GMT
Observant's comment is very funny:

Are the Italians the only ones who can make themselves understood with hand gestures? I mean, if I am a Russian in Spain, Latin America, Iceland, China, Congo, etc., I believe I could also use a hand gesture to indicate that I'm hungry.
Observer   Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:01 pm GMT
"Hi Pedro! Thanks for adding the Portuguese version! It's true that in this example, only Spanish and Portuguese are so significantly close. Interesting! I wouldn't have thought it would be that much."

Portuguese is all ZZZZZ and UMMMMM to us Spanish speakers. Busy bee's, I mean, poronochos...

Utilizzazione:
Far una noce di prodotto nel palmo della mano inumidito e applicarla sul viso massaggiando delicatamente. Risolvere abbondantemente con acqua. Può essere utilizzato nel mattino e sera. Senza sapone.
-Uso esterno -ITALIAN

Utilización:
Haz / Hacer una nuez de producto en la palma de la mano humedecida y aplicarla en el rostro dando un masaje delicadamente. Aclarar abundantemente con agua. Puede ser utilizado en la mañana y la noche. Sin jabón. - Uso externo -SPANISH

Utilização:
Fazer espuma com uma noz de produto na palma da mão umedecada e aplicarla no rosto massajando dedicadamente. Aclarar abundantemente com agua. Pode ser utilizado da manhã e ã noite. Sem sabão.
-Uso externo -PORTUGUESE

Articles:
Italian / Spanish / Portuguese
e= y =e
di = de = de
nel = en la =na
della = de la =da
la = la = ã

words:
noce = nuez = noz
prodotto = producto = produto
senza = sin = sem
sapone = jabon = sabão
massaggiando = dando un masaje = massajando
dedicatamente = dedicadamente = dedicadamente
abbondantemente = abundantemente = abundantemente
mano = mano =mão
con = con = com
palmo = palma = palma
risolvere = aclarar = aclarar
viso = rostro = rosto
mattino = mañana = manhã
sera = noche = noite
far = haz / hacer = fazer
essere = ser = ser
applicarla = aplicarla = aplicarla

verbs conjugated:
inumidito = humedecida = umedecada
massaggiando = ******** = massajando
utilizzato = utilizado = utilizado

Okay. Obiviously Portuguese and Spanish share more common words. However, Italian and Spanish share more common articles. And verbs conjugation is a tie between all three of them. Phonetically speaking, Italian and Spanish would understand themselves much better then Portuguese. Everybody has to remember, Portuguese slides thru words and *sometimes* does not pronounced words like: abundantemente as so, but as: abundantment or abundantement. And the list of words which I have posted goes on with different pronunciation from Spanish and Italian words.

So what I have concluded is that, all three languages are similar. None of them are closer to eachother, because, there's always a small lexical or phonetical obstacle / difference between the three. It's fair game, I would say,
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
Articles:
Italian / Spanish / Portuguese / French
e= y =e = et
di = de = de = de
nel = en la =na = dans la
della = de la =da = de la
la = la = ã = la

words:
noce = nuez = noz = noix
prodotto = producto = produto = produit
senza = sin = sem = sans
sapone = jabon = sabão = savon
massaggiando = dando un masaje = massajando = en massant/ donnant un massage
dedicatamente = dedicadamente = dedicadamente = ? what is it? lol
abbondantemente = abundantemente = abundantemente = abondamment
mano = mano =mão = main
con = con = com = avec
palmo = palma = palma = palme/palmier
risolvere = aclarar = aclarar = clarifier
viso = rostro = rosto = face
mattino = mañana = manhã = matin
sera = noche = noite = nuit
far = haz / hacer = fazer = faire
essere = ser = ser = être
applicarla = aplicarla = aplicarla = l'appliquer

verbs conjugated:
inumidito = humedecida = umedecada = amoiti ou humidifié(e)
massaggiando = ******** = massajando = en massant
utilizzato = utilizado = utilizado = utilisé(es)
Guest   Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:26 pm GMT
Italian: delicatamente
Spanish: delicadamente
Portuguese: delicadamente
French: délicatement

both Portuguese and French words are pronounced similarly. Meanwhile, Italian and Spanish are pronounced similarly.
Sergio   Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:06 pm GMT
Hi Observant,

My mother tongue is Spanish. Starting to study Italian and Portuguese from zero, and not having any previous exposure to either of these languages, Portuguese has by far always been easier to learn than Italian, considering that we are talking about the whole package: morfology, syntax, semantics and the only exception are: the vowels. The consonants are in general just as easy or dificult in both It and Pt.

Don't judge a whole language because of the articles... get first a wider perspective of what you are analising before making precipitated conclusions.

Don't confuse the "reasonably good" passive understanding of an oral speech with the whole similarities ALL INCLUSIVE between three languages.

I live in a Spanish speaking country, and I have made this question many times to other Spanish speaking people: the answer is always the same: Pt. is closer so Sp., even if it the pronounciation doesn't always help.

Regards,
correction   Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:40 pm GMT
Fazer espuma com uma noz de produto na palma da mão (umedecada=umedecida ) e (aplicarla=aplique) no (rostro=rosto) massajando (dedicadamente=delicadamente). Aclarar abundantemente com agua. Pode ser utilizado (da=de) manhã e (ã=a) noite. Sem sabão.
-Uso externo -PORTUGUESE

so it should read

Fazer espuma com uma noz de produto na palma da mão umedecida e aplique no rosto massajando delicadamente. Aclarar abundantemente com agua. Pode ser utilizado de manhã e a noite. Sem sabão.
-Uso externo -PORTUGUESE

Utilización:

Utilizzazione:
Far una noce di prodotto nel palmo della mano inumidito e applicarla sul viso massaggiando delicatamente. Risolvere abbondantemente con acqua. Può essere utilizzato nel mattino e sera. Senza sapone.
-Uso esterno -ITALIAN

Utilisation:
Faire une noix du produit dans la paume de votre main humidifiée et l'appliquer sur votre visage en le massant délicatement. Rincer abondamment à l'eau. Peut être utilisé le matin et le soir. Sans savon. -Usage externe. -FRENCH.
Eric   Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:26 pm GMT
Guest: <<palmo = palma = palma = palme/palmier>>

Well, you guessed everything right except this one. :-) The French translation really is "paume". You know, the inner face of the hand, la paume de la main quoi. See my full translation of the text in my post above.
Sabah   Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:49 pm GMT
Hallo,

I would like to add the following: Spanish and Italian are closer in pronunciation, articles & some words in this sentence. To say Spanish and Italian are not similar in many ways and others not, is not being a bona fide poster.

Utilización:
Haz una nuez de producto en la palma de la mano humedecida y aplicarla en el rostro dando un masaje delicadamente. Aclarar abundantemente con agua. Puede ser utilizado en la mañana y la noche. Sin jabón. - Uso externo -SPANISH

Utilizzazione:
Far una noce di prodotto nel palmo della mano inumidito e applicarla sul viso massaggiando delicatamente. Risolvere abbondantemente con acqua. Può essere utilizzato nel mattino e sera.
Senza sapone. -Uso esterno -ITALIAN

Fazer espuma com uma noz de produto na palma da mão umedecida e aplique no rosto massajando delicadamente. Aclarar abundantemente com agua. Pode ser utilizado de manhã e a noite. Sem sabão.
-Uso externo -PORTUGUESE

In addition---->>>

umedizer - umedizeda / OR / umedecar - umedecada -portuguese
humedecer = umedecida -spanish
inumdire = inmuditio -italian

rosto -portuguese
rostro -spanish
viso -italian

Pode ser utilizado de manhã e a noite. -portuguese
Puede ser utilizado en la mañana y la noche. -spanish
Può essere utilizzato nel mattino e sera. -italian

*Spanish-speakers would understand effortlessly -Può essere utilizzato nel-. 'mattino e sera' would be a little tricky for some spanish-speakers with no previous knowledge of Italian.

----

Aclarar abundantemente com agua. -portuguese
Aclarar abundantemente con agua. -spanish
Risolvere abbondantemente con acqua. -italian

*Aclarar abundantment com agua. -pronunciation

---

1.) Fazer espuma com uma noz de produto na palma da mão umedecida e aplique no rosto massajando delicadamente. -portuguese

2.) Haz una nuez de producto en la palma de la mano humedecida y aplicarla en el rostro dando un masaje delicadamente. -spanish

3.) Far una noce di prodotto nel palmo della mano inumidito e applicarla sul viso massaggiando delicatamente. -italian

*In this paragraph Portuguese and Italian are much similar in lexical. Whereas Spanish is indepedant in "dando un masaje". Besides, Italian and Spanish still have strong similarities in:

haz una nuez de producto en la palma de la mano humedecida y aplicarla
-spanish

far una noce di prodotto nel palmo della mano inumidito e applicarla
-italian

I rest my case.
Pedro   Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:07 am GMT
You have not made your case though, because some aspects of this paragraph in Portuguese could be written:

Instead of:
'massajando delicadamente' - it could also be written:
'dando uma massajem' as in Spanish

And 'Nuez' in Spanish is 'noz' in Portuguese. And 'Espuma' in Portuguese also is 'Espuma' in Spanish. You see, we almost always share the same words - this is the great, great advantage that Spanish and Portuguese speakers have with one another.

Anyway, whoever posted the paragraph probably moidified some of the words on purpose.

By the way, Sergio hit it right-on-the-money with his posting:

<<My mother tongue is Spanish. Starting to study Italian and Portuguese from zero, and not having any previous exposure to either of these languages, Portuguese has by far always been easier to learn than Italian, considering that we are talking about the whole package: morfology, syntax, semantics and the only exception are: the vowels. The consonants are in general just as easy or dificult in both It and Pt.

Don't judge a whole language because of the articles... get first a wider perspective of what you are analising before making precipitated conclusions.

Don't confuse the "reasonably good" passive understanding of an oral speech with the whole similarities ALL INCLUSIVE between three languages.

I live in a Spanish speaking country, and I have made this question many times to other Spanish speaking people: the answer is always the same: Pt. is closer so Sp., even if it the pronounciation doesn't always help.>>

In closing, I am going to post a paragraph in Portuguese and Spanish, and then someone can feel free to add the Italian equivalent. But I can't do this until tomorrow. Stay tuned....

And Observer, your writing is easy to identify. At first you were pro-Italian in your arguments, now you're pretending that you're a 'Spanish speaker'. So which one are you really? If you're going to play the part, at least stick with it. I'm onto you.
Carla di'italia   Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:35 am GMT
f.y.i people

pedro is pete from peru.

l'italiano e il spagnolo sono tuttavia simili. non importa vostri commenti. molte persone pensano lo stesso.

addio per sempre:)