Lexical similarities between French-Spanish-Italian

Observant   Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:52 am GMT
<<This is completely FALLACIOUS reasoning! So what you're claiming is that an Italian can make a hand gesture to make the Spanish speaker understand "mangiare", which means eat in Italian. But the Portuguese, using the exact same word in Portuguese and Spanish "comer", which means 'eat', will not make himself understood to the Spanish speaker, to the extent that he will have to write this word down??? Is anyone with all their scrupples in their head supposed to believe this?? Come one, you know this is complete horseshit! >>

You didn't get my point Pedro. I mean for those Portuguese words which appear very Spanish but pronounced totaly such as "Silencio".

Ask the Portuguese and Spanish speakers on how do they understand "No Brasil"? I'm so sure that Spanish and italian speakers would have the same interpretation of it, and that is "Not Brasil" which is "Non Brasile" in Italian. While Portuguese would interpret it as "In the Brasil" which is "En el Brasil" and "Nella Brasile" in Spanish and Protuguese respectively.

I don't know how you come up with such a horeshit conclusion.
Observant   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:06 am GMT
Correction

It should be:

While Portuguese would interpret it as "In the Brasil" which is "En el Brasil" and "Nel Brasile" in Spanish and Protuguese respectively.

Not:

While Portuguese would interpret it as "In the Brasil" which is "En el Brasil" and "Nella Brasile" in Spanish and Protuguese respectively.
Guest   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:37 am GMT
Bye Bye Carla. Hasta nunca. Observant, you may as well go with her, with him, yourself, as you are a persona non grata of many different faces.
**Mario**   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:42 am GMT
In the S. of France they don't bother learning Italian because it is assumed that the Italians from that northern region of italy will understand them and vice versa. Was anyone aware of this??
Observant   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:59 am GMT
<<Bye Bye Carla. Hasta nunca. Observant, you may as well go with her, with him, yourself, as you are a persona non grata of many different faces. >>

Bye bye guest! BASURAS like you is not needed in this forum.

Look at you you couldn't even tell the differebce between HIM and HER. Carla should be HER not him.
Observant   Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:03 pm GMT
<<This is completely FALLACIOUS reasoning! So what you're claiming is that an Italian can make a hand gesture to make the Spanish speaker understand "mangiare", which means eat in Italian. But the Portuguese, using the exact same word in Portuguese and Spanish "comer", which means 'eat', will not make himself understood to the Spanish speaker, to the extent that he will have to write this word down??? Is anyone with all their scrupples in their head supposed to believe this?? Come one, you know this is complete horseshit! >>

You didn't get my point Pedro. I mean for those Portuguese words which appear very Spanish but pronounced totaly such as "Silencio".

Ask the Portuguese and Spanish speakers on how do they understand "No Brasil"? I'm so sure that Spanish and italian speakers would have the same interpretation of it, and that is "Not Brasil" which is "Non Brasile" in Italian. While Portuguese would interpret it as "In the Brasil" which is "En el Brasil" and "Nel Brasile" in Spanish and Italian respectively.

I don't know how you come up with such a horeshit conclusion.
French-southern boy   Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:18 pm GMT
<< In the S. of France they don't bother learning Italian because it is assumed that the Italians from that northern region of italy will understand them and vice versa. Was anyone aware of this??>>

I didn't know this.
It's possible, because Southern-French have a representative very nearby accent, evoking the phonetics of Italian, the tone of the Marseille Inhabitants or Nice for example are very resembling the way speaking of Italians (in Corsica the tempo and speed of pronunciation and the french tonic accents are even more narrow)
I have never experienced to speak with Italians, because I am Southwestern, and for me Italy is rather distant, with regard to the Iberic peninsula.
The Italian words origin are very used also as: Basta, ciao[' tao, or tchao] "Si" (Yes) (spread now in La Rochelle into Menton).
Pete   Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:26 pm GMT
<<f.y.i people

pedro is pete from peru.>>

No, he isn't. I only post under the name 'Pete' and usually write 'Pete from Peru' or 'Pedro de PerĂº' at the end of my posts.

I don't need to hide myself behind another name to give my opinion, I just speak my mind. If they like it, fine... if not, it's their problem.

<<I don't have anything to say. For me everything is clear as well as for any other Spanish-native speaker. Portuguese is closer, nothing else to say.>>

I don't have anything to say. For me everything is clear as well as for any other Spanish-native speaker. I agree with you, Italian is close to Spanish but Portuguese is closer, nothing else to say.

Kind regards

Pete from Peru
Pete   Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:32 pm GMT
I made a mistake up there, I was talking about this:

<<l'italiano e il spagnolo sono tuttavia simili. non importa vostri commenti. molte persone pensano lo stesso.

addio per sempre:)

I still think the same, Portuguese is closer. And Carla, you're not Italian, there are mistakes there. First of all, your name should be written 'Carla d'Italia' and not 'Carla di'Italia'. And also 'il spagnolo' that should be 'lo spagnolo'. An Italian wouldn't make those mistakes, so don't acuse me of using other names, when it's probably you who does so.

Pete from Peru
bougnat   Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:36 pm GMT
Carla is even not from a latin country for writing such mystakes.
Guest   Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:23 pm GMT
Exactly bougnat - I agree. Let's not humour the imposter any longer. You all know what his posts sound like. And Spanish speakers would not say 'en el Brasil - just simply 'en Brasil'. And in Portuguese, it is quite acceptable, and fast becoming the norm. to say 'em' instead of 'no'. Thus, in Portuguese it could just as easily be 'em Brasil', just as in Spanish 'en Brasil'. Imposter doesn't even know these basic things, that's how we know he is a 'fraud'.
Maya   Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:46 pm GMT
obviously every1 will have there own opinions on this cos every1 has different experiences with the languages.

I believe that the Spanish and Portuguese languages are travelling on a similar path of a language continuum, and this is being reinforced by economic agreements and accords e.g., Mercorsul/Mercosur where people from the Spanish speaking countries are learning Portuguese as a second language in school, and Brazilians are learning Spanish as a second language in their schools. Portunhol/Portunol is the result of close proximity of Brazil which borders every Spanish speaking country except Ecuador and Chile. More and more Spanish speaking countries are becoming members, or associate members. It only makes sense.

Close economic and political relations are making these two languages (Portuguese & Spanish) in Latin America closer than ever. It seems that the Portuguese and Spanish languages and culture cannot ever become estranged from one another, and will forever be joined at the hip. These factors will always set Portuguese Brazil and the rest of Spanish speaking Latin America apart from all of the other Romance languages.

A similar situation exists between Spain and Portugal in Europe. They can't get away from one another even if they wanted to. They are brothers, and although have had their differences in the past, they also both know that they are still close brothers in every way, historically, culturally, linguistically, etc. There is even talk (hypothetical) in some language forums in Spain and Portugal that a political merger/union between Spain and Portugal into 1 nation would be great for economic and political reasons. Believe it or not, there are many Spaniards and Portuguese alike who favour such a union, because their languages and cultures are already so close, that it would only make sense. Also, a united Spain/Portugal and Brazil and Spanish America would make for a real, honest-to-goodness world superpower. The Portuguese language is already firmly entrenched in Africa and re-gaining popularity in Asia. Think about it (hypothetically speaking of course)...the Hispano/lusophone economic power and influence worldwide would be tremendous - an extremely potent political and economic empire. Fun food for thought.

Agree ^^^
not just in languages but also in culture too....The portuguese and spaniards are brothers whether they like it or not. Im of Spanish and Portuguese descent and i dont know the difference between spanish and portuguese culture except that the languages have their slight differences. I speak Spanish, Portuguese(brazilian), Italian and french....
And wel i have to say the closest language to spanish in both pronounciation and vocabulary is defnitaley Portuguese. Italian is also close to spanish but not like portuguese.....its like sum1 earlier said "BROTHER LANGUAGES".....and italian a mere cousin to both these 2.

I went 2 argentina last year and the same thing happened to me when i tried a little experiment......They seemed to understand me better wen speaking in Portuguese....2 my surprise in fact, cos at 1st i thought italian was closer. But when i spoke in Italian they just looked at me a bit confused n they told me they didnt really understand me.....and i didnt have this prob wen speaking portuguese

well thats all i can say....truth is the truth hey, live with it
Aldvm   Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:35 am GMT
Isn't it funny, how all these people in here only comment once or twice. It's because they're the same person. Observant and Pete from Peru are perhaps the only ones I see commenting in this particular discussion. It just goes to show that some people have hidden agendas.

Oh by the way,

I think Italian is closer to Spanish. Yeah, I said it. Now quote me and criticize me for it. Losers.
Observant   Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:46 am GMT
OK! So let's make it this way. If you ask Spanish and Italian speakers to translate in English "No edificio" and they will answer "No building".

But if you ask the Portuguese speakers, it will be "In the building" which is "En el edificio" and "Nel edificio" in Spanish and Italian respectively.

The word "No" in Portuguese means "In the" while in Spanish and Italian it's "No" which has a totaly different meaning from Portuguese.

Spanish and Italian have the same meaning for the phrase. On the other hand Italian and Portuguese are closer to each other than to Spanish for "In the" which is "Nel" and "No" in their respective languages, contractions of "In il" and "Em o". Did you get my point?

Spanish and Portuguese don't agree in some instances. Sometimes the Spanish and Portuguese parallel sometimes Spanish and Italian and sometimes Italian and Portuguese.

The relationship of the 3 languages to each other is the same as in the Scandinavian languages. Swedish and Norwegian speakers can communicate with each other using their respective languages much easier than with Danish speakers since the phonologies of both languages are virtually identical to each other even though Danish and Norwegian are lexically closer to each other than to Swedish.\

Reaction please!
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:06 am GMT
Italian cannot be a cousin of Spanish and Portuguese because they are children of the same mother, Latin.

French, Romanian, and Catalan are sister languages too of Spansih and Portuguese whether you like it or not Maya.

If there is a language that can be considered as cousins of Romance languages, that could only be Modern Greek because Latin and Classical/Ancient Greek are sister languages.