Lexical similarities between French-Spanish-Italian

Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:30 am GMT
Impostor is back again folks, first as Aldvm and then as Observant. This guy wants an audience to spew ca-ca onto. He has nothing legitimate to argue about so is trying desperately to make weak points by using very weak tidbits of info. whenever he can. Most of us in this forum know the truth - Spanish and Portuguese are the closest romance languages, always were, always will be. No need to argue this any further. For those who doubt it, just do a little research and your doubts will be put to rest.
H.P. LaSalle   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:34 am GMT
From everything I have read Italian and French can be considered brother languges too.
Nadia   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:38 am GMT
Everyone keeps forgetting about Romanian which in many ways is still closer to the original Vulgar Latin than the other romance languages except Italian. And Romanian and italian are even closer than Italian and French.
David   Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:16 pm GMT
««Believe it or not, there are many Spaniards and Portuguese alike who favour such a union, because their languages and cultures are already so close, that it would only make sense. »»

There has always been a minory that favours the union. But it is just what it is, a small minority. The majority of people want both countries separated. This does not mean they are not brother countries. Do not talk about what you do not know. And no one wants portuñol as a national language.
David   Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:20 pm GMT
««Believe it or not, there are many Spaniards and Portuguese alike who favour such a union, because their languages and cultures are already so close, that it would only make sense. »»

Believe it or not? Of couse I do not believe. The "many" word is a joke isn't it? There has always been a Minority that favours the union. As there as always been a minority of Portuguese living in Spain or a minority of Spaniards living in Portugal. But it is just what it is, a small minority. The majority of people want both countries separated. This does not mean they are not brother countries. Do not talk about what you do not know. And no one wants portuñol as a national language. Do not talk nonsense.
Pete   Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
<<OK! So let's make it this way. If you ask Spanish and Italian speakers to translate in English "No edificio" and they will answer "No building".

But if you ask the Portuguese speakers, it will be "In the building" which is "En el edificio" and "Nel edificio" in Spanish and Italian respectively.

The word "No" in Portuguese means "In the" while in Spanish and Italian it's "No" which has a totaly different meaning from Portuguese.

Spanish and Italian have the same meaning for the phrase. On the other hand Italian and Portuguese are closer to each other than to Spanish for "In the" which is "Nel" and "No" in their respective languages, contractions of "In il" and "Em o". Did you get my point?>>

We get your point observant, but how can you judge similarities between languages based on only a little thing like that?

If I followed your method I could say for example that Spanish has little to do with Portuguese, and that Portuguese is actually closer to Italian... O.o Why is that? well look... If you say something like "vehr-goh-nya" to an Italian, a Portuguese and a Spaniard, the Italian will understand "vergogna", and the Portuguese will get "vergonha". Unfortunately, the Spanish fellow will not understand. You've just said "shame" in Portuguese and Italian, not in Spanish... SO Portuguese is closer tu Italian... O.o

You may say, wait you can't say that only by comparing how you say the word "Shame" in those languages. Well, then you get the point, It's a shame to judge language similarities by looking at one or two words.
"Es una vergüenza..." Sp
"E uma vergonha..." Por
"È un peccato..." Ita (also the word choice is different... no problem, I still understand what this means.)

Kind regards

Pete from Peru
Pete   Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
<<Spanish and Portuguese are the closest romance languages, always were, always will be.>>

Well, they're close my friend. But actually, Catalan and Occitan are the closest sister romance languages, as I learnt in another thread about Catalan, where some Catalan fellows kindly gave us information about that.

Kind regards

Pete from Peru
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:45 pm GMT
Pete is right you have to look at the languages as a whole.

It´s easy making languages look similer by using just one word or one phrase. eg

pineapple (english)

piña (spanish)

ananas (French,Germain,Italian and Portuguese)

Thus we can conclude that English and Spanish are similar and that French, Germain, Italian and Portuguese are all the same language.

This is what you are doing, see the problem?
Guest   Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:06 pm GMT
Pete, when I said Portuguese and spanish are the 'closest romance languages' I meant 'major' romance languages....Catalan and Occitan are romance languages, but not 'major' romance languages, in the sense that they are not widely spoken globally. Using your line of reasoning though, it would follow that 'Galego and Portuguese' are actually, without question, the closest romance languages. But 'Galego' is not a major romance language. Thus, the closest 'major' romance languages are still Spanish and Portuguese. Get my point?

And guest, 'Ananas' also means pineaple in Spanish. Try again.
Pete   Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:09 am GMT
Sure, I see what you mean. And I agree with you about Spanish and Portuguese. However, I'm not sure about what you said about 'Galego'. It's totally true that 'Galego' is REALLY close to Portuguese, but are they as close as Catalan and Occitan are? or are Catalan and Occitan even closer than that? that's another thing to debate.

<<And guest, 'Ananas' also means pineaple in Spanish. Try again.>>

Really? I didn't know. I must broaden my vocabulary at once... Although I can say in my defence that most native speakers, including me, use 'piña' and not 'ananas'. unless they're writers maybe...

Kind regards

Pete from Peru
JGreco   Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:52 am GMT
"Really? I didn't know. I must broaden my vocabulary at once... Although I can say in my defence that most native speakers, including me, use 'piña' and not 'ananas'. unless they're writers maybe..."

In Panama the word "ananas" is used they refer to jelly or ice cream while the fruit itself is pin~a.
Guest   Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:10 pm GMT
Yeah Pete, 'Ananas' is commonly used in some Spanish speaking countries including Spain, of course.
Guest   Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:48 pm GMT
>> Everyone keeps forgetting about Romanian which in many ways is still closer to the original Vulgar Latin than the other romance languages except Italian. <<

How can we forget when you keep ramming it down our throats.
Guest   Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:01 pm GMT
simarities with french and italian and differencies with spanish.

fr==it/sp
tête==testa /vs cabeza
jour==giorno /vs dia
toute=tutto /vs todo
faire==fare /vs hacer
fils==figli /vs hijo
huile==olia /vs aceite
olive==oliva /vs aceituna
manger==mangiare /vs comer
frère==fratello /vs hermano
lundi==lunedi /vs lunes
mardi==martedi /vs martes
mercredi==mircoledi /vs miercoles
jeudi==giovedi /vs jueves
vendredi==venerdi /vs viernes
parler==parlare /vs hablar
plus==più /vs mas
jus, suc == succo /vs zumo
vous == voi /vs usted
homme == uomo /vs hombre
et /e/== e /e/ vs y /i/
cité==città /vs ciudad
Guest   Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:43 pm GMT
I would also add:

portez = = portare / traer (llevar)
trouvez = = trovare / encontrar (procurar)
auberge = = albergo / hotel
fromage = = formaggio / queso
veux = = voglio / quiero
peur = = paura / miedo
besoin = = bisogno / necesitar
manquer = = mancare / extranar
regardez = = guardare / mirar (ver)
sur = = su / en la
table = = tavola / mesa
sous = = sotto / bajo
matin = = mattina / manana
soir = = sera / noche
ete = = estate / verano
jambe = = gamba / pierna

There are endless more simarities between french and italian and differencies with spanish.